Sunday, September 7, 2014

2 weeks postpartum with baby # 3

I remember when I had my first baby in 2010, I was prepared for the pain of delivery ( I had no pain medication with all of my births ) but I was not prepared for what my body would look like when I came home from the hospital.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to walk out of the hospital in skinny jeans, but no one told me that I would still look 5 months pregnant and that my stomach would feel like a hug bag of cottage cheese.... seriously not prepared for that.  It was like no muscle ever existed in there! But with time, hard work in the gym, and a clean diet I was leaner than I was before I got pregnant.  For my 2nd and 3rd babies I was mentally prepared for my post baby body so it didn't take me by surprise, but it is still hard to deal with.  Until you have a baby, nothing can truly prepare you for the body you have after baby, but it IS possible to get your pre-baby body back.

This pregnancy I gained 33 lbs - right about the same as I did with my first 2 pregnancies.  The morning after I delivered I was down 14 lbs so I was left with 19 lbs to lose on my own.  Since I am breast feeding ( well, not technically, I pump ) I need to keep my calories up in order to keep my milk production.  I have been averaging about 2200 calories, this is roughly 400 more calories than I was eating at my maintenance weight before I got pregnant.  I am focusing on drinking a ton of water ( for milk production ) and eating clean foods high in protein.  A sample of a day eating wise for me is :

1 Cup egg whites
2 slices all natural sour dough toast 
1/2 Cup berries 

One batch of overnight oats with blueberries 

3 protein waffles 

Whole wheat sandwich thin
4 oz low sodium turkey breast 
Raw snap peas, peppers, cherry tomatoes 
8 oz skim milk with Shakeology

Plain greek yogurt
1 TBSP all natural peanut butter 

4 oz of a lean protein 
Steamed green veggies ( broccoli or green beans typically ) 

I have always been one who is really hungry the first half of my day and not so much after 2:00 so I stack more of my meals in the morning, remember
it's whatever works for you and your schedule.

I have not been exercising yet, but since I had a very quick, uncomplicated delivery so I have been going on nightly walks with the kids.  I will likely introduce some light activity here shortly but for now just the walks!

I will be updating my progress every week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment